Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Post #7

Though many sources, such as the Internet and computer softwares can be extremely informative, students and educators must be positive the information is reliable. Chapter seven discusses the importance of evaluating educational technology. The state and school districts often provide guidelines as to exactly what needs to be taught. They also compile software programs that can be used to teach students specific subjects. As a future educator, I must be able to evaluate whether the software will pertain to my subject and be useful for the students. Examining educational catalogs which provide lists of different software programs that can be used in the classroom and published evaluations of such products help teachers to narrow the lists to their specific subject. I have learned that the more people involved in a subject, the more ideas spring. Talking with other colleagues, attending conferences, and becoming involved in educational organizations can broaden a persons creativity and wisdom. Validity and reliability are important when teaching a subject and educators must not only understand the ability of their students to use technology, but assess whether the technology is appropriate for their classroom. I know I am constantly concerned with the validity and credibility of information, especially on the Web. Evaluating educational technology is an important step when teaching a classroom of students who are looking to you for the answers.
Excel is awesome! I have learned to use the program much better, though I could still use the practice. I had no idea about all the formulas it can calculate! That could have been a huge help on some prior projects. SAM is still helping me better understand the program though I think it needs to be updated. It can be repetitive sometimes.
I absolutely love the beach and working here and could get quite used to living here permanently, but I think I would miss tally too much. It’s fun here and I’m ready to get back to school full time and football games on the weekend instead of working all night and trying to catch up with sleep during the day. I’m tired now…gotta rest! Until next time!

No comments: